Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A quick side thought to the Health Care debate

I was listening to a nationwide talk radio show this morning and the host was taking calls to discuss socialized Health Care. I'm not really writing about this debate but I would rather make a side point.

The host of the show was talking to a doctor who was quoting stats about the percent of people who get treatment but do not pay for any of the services. The host interjected asking who these people were. The doctor stated that the majority are what could be considered middle to low working class Americans.

I thought about this for a minute as the host went on about how we already have socialized health care since we can't turn people away due to ability to pay, and I asked myself this. If these are middle to low class Americans, why was the percent that couldn't pay so high (sorry, I forgot the actual percent the doctor stated)?

Could it be that an increasing number of Americans are living above their means? How many of these families own a car they can't afford, own a jet ski, or took a vacation they charged to a credit card? I'm not trying to sound elitist here, if you knew me you'd know that is not the case. My point is that I'd be willing to bet that anywhere for a quarter to half of the number the doctor quoted is due to irresponsible management of money by individuals, not because these people are poor.

Shouldn't this play some roll in the debate?

No comments: